Thursday, August 6, 2015

3 simple steps to calm your anxiety


Sandra Chabot Weber
Holistic Nutritionist, Writer, Speaker 

Here’s the thing about anxiety… It likes to creep in during the most inconvenient of times.

When my General Anxiety Disorder was at its worst, I’d often get panic attacks at work, on the streetcar, or before a fun night out.

I know what it’s like and I know what helps.

There are tools that you can use in the moment to help ease and calm those anxious feelings.

The secret is to trust in what you are doing, sit back into the present moment, and get out of your head.

1. Breathe 

It’s so simple yet so very powerful. Your breath is what keeps you alive, it’s what keeps you grounded, and it’s your way out of anxiety. In fact, my breath was one of the biggest helpers in getting me off of anti-anxiety medication.

In the heat of the intensity, I’d silently say this mantra to myself: Before I do anything else, I’m just going to breathe.

It worked every time and with practice, it became my natural response. 

2. Keep a small journal handy

The fastest way to purge yourself of negative thoughts is to get them out on paper. Whatever is triggering your anxiety, whatever it is that you’re worrying about – release it from your headspace.

Writing creates a sort of internal transformation where your inner dialogue gets the acknowledgment it is seeking but also gets let go.

It can even serve as a highly practical tool by keeping track of what sets off your anxiousness. 

3. Aromatherapy roll-ons 

Essential oils are very calming to the nervous system and provide you with an immediate sense of relief. All you have to do is apply to your temples or pulse points and allow the relaxation to take over.

I’m personally obsessed with the Veeva Sleep Blend because I love lavender. These sweet little roll-ons smell amazing, fit perfectly in your purse or pocket, and serve their purpose discreetly.

No comments:

Post a Comment