Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Get Grounded


Catherine Sugrue, CNP
Holistic Nutritionist

Every single time I’m anywhere near a patch of grass, a garden, a body of water or any piece of natural land, I whip off my shoes and dig my toes in.  Heck, I may even lie down and close my eyes.  Yes, I get some weird looks or laughs sometimes, but I’m not usually paying attention to any of it.  I’m too busy connecting my body with the energy and pulses of the earth to even notice.  I’m in the zone, soaking it all in.  

Recent studies have shown the positive effects that grounding (or earthing) can have on our health.  Scientists are even exploring the importance that the earth’s energy cycles have on our own body’s cycles and on the many roles they may have, including regulating the nervous system, hormones and sleep patterns.  

Being connected with nature can also influence brain activity, help to manage stress levels and provide overall balance to your endocrine system.   Although escaping the city is always the best option for resetting yourself, sometimes it’s just not possible.  When I’m in the middle of a busy space, I’ll find the nearest spot of grass and take a moment to remind myself that I can be in the midst of chaos and still find peace.  

So next time you’re looking to connect to something other than wifi, why not try the earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment