Catherine Sugrue, CNP
Magnesium (Mg) is my favourite mineral. Yes, I’m nerdy enough to have a favourite mineral. Nowadays, the soil just isn’t what it used to be (cue sad music here). Over the years, stuff like chemicals and pesticides have depleted the quality of the earth we use to grow the best kinds of food, our vegetables. This means that the overall mineral content is much lower, therefore reducing the amount of Mg in our food.
It’s one of the most important minerals, yet most of us are deficient. Supplementation is usually the best way to go, but remember to always speak to a health care practitioner first. Some tasty food sources include green leafy vegetables, almonds, wheat germ and pumpkin seeds. This superstar mineral has tons of functions within the human body. Well, I’m here to tell you why you should be upping your game.
Here are my top 10 reasons why Magnesium is the Sh&$:
1. Sleep - Deemed the relaxation mineral, research has shown that a lack of Mg can disturb your sleep cycles.
2. Muscles - When your muscles contract, Calcium is utilized by the body. When they relax, it’s Mg that does the trick. So next time you have a muscle spasm or they’re cramping, think about this mineral, so you can get them to chill out.
3. Energy - Mg is required in your cells in order to produce energy. This little guy is so smart, it knows where to go when it’s required for energy production or relaxation, secret double agent style.
4. Stress & Anxiety - This calming mineral nourishes the nervous system. It acts as a pre-cursor to specific neurotransmitters that help you to relax… ahhh.
5. Them Bones - Contributing to the structural development of bones, a proper balance of Calcium and Mg will help to prevent issues with bone density.
6. Enzymes - Sounding a little too sciency for you? Well, these chemical reactions are super important for you to function. Mg helps these integral processes by becoming a cofactor to over 300 of these enzymatic systems. Here’s an example - during digestion!
7. Brain Power - Playing a role in nerve function, Mg can help your thinker to… well, think! It has also been known to aid in relieving tension, including headaches.
8. Heart - Studies have shown that Mg has the ability to help regulate blood pressure, which is great for treating Hypertension. It can also help to keep the ol’ heart rate steady.
9. Kicking Diabetes in the Butt - Mg plays a role in glucose metabolism. This means it can help to regulate blood sugar lowering your risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
10. Sh&$ - No, literally. Having troubles in the bathroom? This little gem helps to relax your bowels so that it’s easier to… you know, GO!