Monday, June 15, 2015

Finding Beauty in the Mundane


Ellie Steele, RHN
ACEP Certified EFT Practitioner

For the last couple of years I’ve actively pursued happiness. 

I do that in a number of ways but one of my favourite ways of cultivating happiness is to look for beauty where it may easily be overlooked. 

Case in point; I like to keep a bouquet of flowers on my kitchen table all the time, but from time to time I’m too busy to replace it and the surface beauty begins to fade as the leaves dry up and the petals scatter themselves across the mess of papers on my kitchen table “desk”.   

Sometimes, I look at those dried up flowers and think “I really should toss those out, they look awful”, but the other day something interesting happened as I was contemplating the beauty of life.  

A dried, dead azalea flower reached out and smacked me with something I hadn’t noticed before; even the process of decay is beautiful.  The way the water content in the flower returns to the earth and the bright colour fades as the petals wilt. Every bit of it is beautiful. It’s a circle we humans couldn’t possibly duplicate and it struck me with awe and wonder for this magical world we live in.  

One of my best friends is an incredible photographer that possesses this talent for seeing beauty in the mundane. I love the way she captures this ordinary dandelion in a moment of circular life. Doesn’t it just make you happy?


No comments:

Post a Comment