Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Definition of Happiness

Catherine Sugrue, CNP
Holistic Nutritionist

Grab a pen and a piece of paper.  Got it?  Okay, so what’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “happiness”?  Just sit and think about it for a second and then write it down.  There are no wrong answers here, folks.  Just put that pen to paper and write.  Are you smiling yet?

I googled the word “happiness” and discovered that it’s defined as a “mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.”  (Wikipedia 2015)  Well, I’m here to tell you that it can’t really be defined or quantified that easily.

For me, happiness comes in all shapes and sizes.  One day I can define it as the way the sunshine feels on my face.  The next day, it’s the way chocolate tastes or having a heart-felt embrace from someone I love.  It can be the feeling I get when I go into this loud squealing baby-talk as I pet a strangers puppy on the street.  Maybe it’s just the way I’m smiling as I write all of this down because now I know that you’re thinking of all the things that define this feeling for you. 

So next time you’re feeling a little low or you need a gentle reminder of what happiness means to you, just take a look at that little piece of paper with your definition written on it, and just smile.


Discover more at veeva.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment